Wednesday, May 2, 2012

What is a Christian?


What is a Christian?  I know that question sounds strange, most would answer that it’s someone who has accepted Christ as Savior and Lord, but is there more to it than that?  Why are there so many Christians out there whose lives don’t look anything different than non-Christians?  Oh yes, they may be good, kind, loving, go to church and they may even read their Bibles and pray.  But is that what makes a person a Christian?   

 I grew up in a fine Christian home.  I went to Christian schools from K-12 as well as Bible School.  I never really rebelled.  I “did’ all the things that were expected of a Christian.  I volunteered at church, I tithed, I obeyed the rules…I was a good person.  The problem is that even though I knew right from wrong, even though I knew right doctrine…. I was dead inside.  There was no life within me. 
  
John 10:10 I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. (ESV)

A few years ago I got fed up with status quo Christianity.  I had been Christian for years but the Bible seemed dry and dull to me, devotions were boring and I found that my relationship with God revolved around duty, there was little delight.  In fact, sometimes months would go by without me cracking open my Bible or saying a prayer.  I knew the importance of Bible reading and prayer but the Bible was dull and boring to me.  It was during this time that I was introduced to the Holy Spirit.  I had always knew about the Holy Spirit (remember, I was keen on doctrine and grew up in strong evangelical circles) yet the Holy Spirit wasn’t someone that I knew. 

John 14:26 (NIV) But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

I was always familiar with the third person of the trinity, but I can say that for most of my Christian life, I didn’t have a relationship with Him.  I knew that I had the Holy Spirit inside me (all receive Him  upon conversion) but I was never letting Him speak and my sinful actions, apathy and worldliness was grieving Him.  I attended the Encounter Retreat at my church in spring of 2008 and it was something that God used to grow me in an immense way.  I cleaned up areas of sin and felt pure and clean.  It was so fresh and new, I felt like I was very close to God.

At the Retreat, the Holy Spirit session was very powerful for me.  Since I grew up in an evangelical church the Holy Spirit wasn’t something that was talked much about but as we sang, “Holy Spirit Reign Down” I actually felt His presence and Him entering me in a fuller way. It was gentle, it was peaceful.  No one around me noticed anything (no physical manifestations) but inside a fire started in my heart that has been raging ever since. 

When I began to believe in the Holy Spirit, that He could talk to me and that we could communicate with each other, that’s when I really began to grow spiritually and my devotions changed from being dull, boring and based on duty to being full of life, and they became something I enjoyed and even didn’t want to miss.  That’s not to say that I never have a dull patch, but for the most part, I find devotions  much less dull, in fact, I now don’t really want to start my day without them.  So what made the all the difference?

God’s Kingdom is made is such as way that His secrets and a lot of Biblical truths cannot be penetrated by human intelligence or education alone.

Luke 8:10 The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that, though seeing, they may not see; though hearing, they may not understand.

In Bible times, many scholars of Jesus’ day had the Old Testament and yet they failed to recognize Jesus as the Messiah.  Yet many Christians do exactly that today, we go about in our religious routines and miss out on Jesus. Why?  One major reason is because of the way we interact with Scripture.  Our scripture cannot be correctly interpreted without the revealing ministry of the Holy Spirit. 

We’ve turned Christianity into a list of do’s and don’ts.  If we follow all the rules (go to church, be nice, don’t lie, cheat or steal) then we think we are doing OK.  But is this Christianity?  NO!!!  Christianity is a relationship with Jesus Christ.  It’s not about knowing about God or even doing the right stuff (although obedience is important), it’s about having a relationship with Him.  What is one way to do this?  It’s through prayer and listening prayer.  The goal of listening prayer is NOT to use God as a genie in a bottle, He’s not a magic eight ball –He is a person who wants a relationship with you. If you are eager to grow in your walk with God, then God is eager to speak to you. 

Over the next month or so, I will be focusing my blog posts on the importance of prayer and listening prayer.  Why? Because this is one way in which I have found LIFE!  It’s a key reason for my own spiritual growth and I believe it is a key for many who are suffering as boring, apathetic, complacent Christians. 

John 17:3 (NIV) Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

No comments:

Post a Comment