Wednesday, April 25, 2012

You want ME to lead a women’s group…


Last year, God placed it on my heart to start up a daytime women’s cell group.  I had been involved in cell leadership previously, so that aspect of it didn’t worry me.  What worried me was how I would lead a group of ladies.  I have never really been the kind of woman that engaged too much in women’s ministry in the various churches that I had previously attended.  In fact, I often found that women’s groups were shallow, overly emotional, clicky and that too many women gossiped or whined about their husbands, kids or other stuff in their lives.  Women’s ministry was NOT for me.  Little did I know…

As I kept praying about this, God would not let the idea go.  As I prayed He showed me that He wanted to start something real and authentic with the women at my church.  He gave me THREE purposes that He wanted me to use as a filter for how we did cell.  

First, He showed me that our number one reason for existing as a women’s cell was to grow in our walk with God and mature in our relationship with Him.  We were not to be a mom’s morning out – the women could do that on their own.  Yes, we would provide childcare so that women with kids could attend. But we were to focus primarily on God.  Our focus was not attaining a bunch of head knowledge but applying the Scriptures to our daily lives, being transformed by God.  It’s about knowing Him more and letting Him into all aspects of our lives.  

Matt 18:20 For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them. (NIV)
 
He showed me that our second purpose was to encourage each other in our walk with God.  God has given us cell groups to encourage us to pray, have devotions, stand strong against temptation, live godly lives at work, home and play as well as to teach us to give generously and serve selflessly. 

Psalm 5:3 Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord. Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly. (NLT)

Titus 2:12 Training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age (ESV)

Mark 10:45 For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. (ESV)

Finally, our last purpose was to connect with each other through healthy relationships that facilitate our spiritual growth.  God created the church as a body with many parts therefore we actually can’t do Christianity alone, we need each other.   God has given us cell in order to foster healthy and positive relationships within the church.  This is tougher than it may seem.  It was important to me that we find out what healthy, godly relationships look like, so I began to pray about this and establish what I all healthy sharing guidelines.  These guidelines have helped our group to stay clear of many pitfalls that women’s groups fall into and make sure that each person gets prayed for EVERY week.  Check out my blog post on this topic called: Healthy Sharing Guidelines. 

Just recently, God showed me that when we fulfill the three purposes listed above then we find the kind of unity that Jesus was praying about in John 17.

John 17: 20-23  20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. (NIV)

When we gather as a cell and:
1.       agree to focus on God, putting Him first, AND,
2.       encourage others to grow in prayer, Bible reading and living godly lives, AND,
3.       work hard to foster positive, healthy community, THEN,

do you see what happens?  The world sees and has the chance to believe.   In verse 21 is says, so that the world may believe that you have sent me and in verse 22 it says, then the world will know that you sent me.  When we do these three things then God gives us UNITY that the world can see!  When we meet together fulfilling these purposes, we become an ARMY of believers who are SHINING OUR LIGHT to the world!  Coming to cell isn’t just about me and my needs.  When believers gather together in wholehearted pursuit of God, abandoning our selfish ways, praying and listening to Jesus and staying godly in our speech and actions…it is then that we become the city on a hill that can’t be hidden.  The world sees and the Father is glorified! 

Each person that comes to cell gets to be a part of this, as long as we keep fulfilling our three purposes.  I can’t create this unity on my own, it’s a corporate thing.  I can’t create the unity required to show the world who Jesus is by myself.  It takes a group of people to do this.  I want to THANK each person who has faithfully attending cell for their faithfulness.  You have sacrificed your time to be here.  God notices and He is saying to you today, “Well Done!”

As for me, I’m glad I started this women’s group!  I have learned that I can’t do Christianity on my own.  I love the fellowship that  I have with my cell women but most of all – I LOVE pursuing God with them.  What a blessing!  I’m glad I took this leap of faith! 

No comments:

Post a Comment